11.05.2007

A good day (or weekend) ain't got no end

I love lists. I can't help myself.

A weekend in bullets:
  • New clothes that fit well
  • Taking a sleeping pill to be able to sleep in until 10 on Saturday
    morning
  • Yarn, glorious yarn
  • Ordering tickets for my Mom and I to see the Saturday matinee of The Nutcracker at the Overture Center
  • The Darjeeling Limited, which I enjoyed very much
  • Yummy Indian food (naan and butter chicken, I love you)
  • Chocolate martini for dessert at Madison's
  • Two glasses of wine at Natt Spill
  • Going to bed mildly buzzed at 10:30 on a Saturday
  • Waking up Sunday morning and realizing that I magically and unexpectedly now have another hour due to DST
  • Not getting out of my pajamas all day Sunday
  • Egg Boats and Dad's Awesome Potatoes (recipe follows) for brunch
  • The Packers winning, not because I actually like football but because I know how happy it makes my Dad and brother
  • Grilled cheese with stone ground mustard and a huge slice of tomato with Sweet Potato, Squash, and Apple Soup (recipe follows) for dinner
  • Going to bed at 8:30 due to extreme tiredness from extra hour due to DST
Things that were not awesome about the weekend:
  • Realizing at 8:30 on Friday night that our furnace was no longer working
  • Shelling out $140 on Saturday to get our furnace to work again
  • Not doing any work on my final presentation for my Women in Society class
Dad's Awesome Potatoes

1/2 to 1 stick of butter, depending on how unhealthy you want to be
2 baking potatoes, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt
pepper

Melt butter in frying pan over medium high heat. Add potatoes, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and onions are caramelized. Garlic will become blackened. Makes 4 servings.

Sweet Potato, Squash, and Apple Soup

1 med onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
2-3 apples, cored and diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Heat olive oil on medium high in stockpot. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add vegetable stock, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, apple, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer two ladles worth of vegetables and one ladle of broth to food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Add back to stockpot and heat on low for an additional 5-10 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments: