10.16.2008

Sorry, we have no bananas

I am a fan of banana bread, and we happened to have 3 bananas sitting on our counter just asking to be made into banana bread (aka, we had 3 bananas that neither of us had eaten and that had started turning brown). My tried and true banana bread recipe is actually a vegan recipe and is quite delicious. I've probably made it a dozen times over the last four years. It also fools me into thinking it's somewhat good for me because it contains wheat germ.

Today I decided to try something new and made some Chocolate Banana Bread courtesy of AllRecipes.com. I just ate a piece as dessert for dinner, and I must say it might beat out my tried and true recipe for the best banana bread ever. It's pretty heavy on the chocolate taste, and therefore kind of rich, so I can't picture myself making it all the time, but it will definitely be added into the banana bread rotation.

Chocolate Banana Bread
NOTE: The recipe on All Recipes makes 2 loaves. I halved the recipe, and used half white sugar and half brown sugar. Otherwise the recipe is unchanged.


1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 bananas, mashed
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup lite sour cream
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together margarine, sugar and eggs. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking soda and cocoa; mix well. Blend in sour cream and chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a loaf comes out clean.

No comments: